- This event has passed.
Parents & Teachers as Allies Training
May 5, 2017 @ 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Pay it forward!
WHAT IS PARENTS AND TEACHERS AS ALLIES?
Parents and Teachers as Allies is a two-hour in-service program that focuses on helping school professionals and families within the school community better understand the early warning signs of mental health conditions in children and adolescents and how best to intervene so that youth with mental health treatment needs are linked with services. It also presents the lived experience of mental health conditions and how schools can best communicate with families about mental health related concerns.
EACH IN-SERVICE PROGRAM:
1. Is delivered by a trained team, including a facilitator, a parent, an individual who has had to cope with mental health and school growing up, and an educational professional. ñ Follows a structured format covering issues frequently faced by school professionals, parents, and caregivers.
2. Has been well-tested and has produced positive results in diverse schools across the country.
3. The program concludes with a facilitated, interactive discussion that encourages audience participation.
PROSPECTIVE PRESENTERS MUST MEET ONE OF THE FOLLOWING DESCRIPTIONS:
1. Young adult with a mental health condition living in recovery
2. Parent of an individual who exhibited symptoms of mental health as a child in school
3. NAMI Family-to-Family teacher who preferably is also a parent of an individual who was symptomatic in school or a Basics Teacher, or;
4. A school professional who is also either a family member of someone with a mental health condition or lives with a mental health condition themselves